Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dam debris photos

On Sunday, Brain and I went canoeing on the Milwaukee River, scraping bottom many times. I got a few photos (some of them are even beautiful, but not these). When I saw this article by Chris Liebenthal on the subject (worth reading), I figured I should probably post them. I don't know if you remember, but earlier this month, there was an offer- by volunteers- (article here) to remove the woody debris, thwarted by the need for an environmental pollutant assessment- which would cost $100,000, and was not in the budget. Huh. There is a lot of debris down by the dam. We were astounded. Look at all the plants growing in it! Did I say plants? I meant noxious weeds.


And, best of all, some enterprising individuals have even built a little cabin with a deck out to the river, using found wood (see below).

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

If you got to Jennifer's most recent 7 Quick Takes (Conversion Diary) you will see her entry on what was recently found on the bottom of a dried-out Texas Lake. Freaky!