Sunday, July 5, 2009

MRPA float

The Milwaukee River Preservation Association had a float in the Glendale Days Independence Day parade. "Fun was had by all!" The pontoon boat float came out beautifully. Most people were very receptive to us. Check out the photostream on Flickr! If you have more photos, send them via email at suzanney300 (at) yahoo.com and I can add them if you like- extra fun!!

Our float from the rear. I fell behind but got an ok shot out of it.


This kid had a blast tubing behind the float.



I wore my Statue of Liberty costume (with a "Kiss me, I'm Irish" t-shirt underneath- since, after all, she is the first thing American that my Irish ancestors saw opon their arrival. Plus, it is green.)


I was immensely proud to be able to wear this costume, despite crown malfunction. I cropped it this way because of the Lincoln Park sign- I love that sort of juxtaposition.


I hope you enjoy the Flickr photostream for all the photos I got at the parade today. Sorry if I missed getting a shot of you, or didn't know your name to label you properly- I reassure you, it was unintentional! There are also some other shots from the parade so if you had to miss it, you can get some of the flavor, I hope.


Special thanks to Tammy for coming up with this fantastic idea and making it happen. Hopefully, our float will help us garner some support so that we can float again soon on the Milwaukee River.


"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free." And yes, I was tired after walking almost the whole parade route- but it was worth it.


Civil disobedience in action!!

2 comments:

mikemiller34 said...

Your life mirrors my childhood in so many weird ways! You should have tipped me off that you'd be in the parade. I don't think I've caught one since my Mom stopped running it.

And how do you get through airport security? ;-)

The River Otter said...

Mike, I didn't know until the night before whether I would feel good enough to attend!
Besides, I can't tell you everything about my life (yawn)
And, I don't have to get through airport security. Air Force One comes to ME.