Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Braveheart

I am reminded of a conversation I had with my brother a few years ago. I said to him (I think we were discussing war or something) that I didn't understand why there was so much dissent in the world. I wondered why people couldn't just peacefully float around in canoes. (Sort of a variation on the "why don't people just get along?" argument.)
He said to me, "If people were just floating around in canoes, "I'D attack them!" As in, people have to stay organized. People have to be aware of the political issues that affect them and their neighborhoods. Let our elected officials know how you feel. The pen, as they say- and also the computer keyboard and the telephone- is mightier than the sword.
At http://www.milwaukeeriverpreservation.org we have a contact list for the County Supervisors on the Parks, Energy, and Environment committee. Please contact them and let them know that the inland lake provided by the Estabrook Dam is a recreational and aesthetic treasure in our urban habitat that could be lost forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. Keep doing what you're doing to save the dam!!