Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sustainability and street cred

This is the house that DH and I bought together when we got married in 1998, at the corner of Palmer and Center streets in sort-of-but-not-quite Brewer's Hill and definitely-not-but-let's-pretend Riverwest. We were the only white people around for blocks and blocks. We paid $35,000 for it and the taxes were just over $250 per year. It was very economically sustainable and I was able to walk to work if I wasn't working the night shift, and if I had Comet (the Doberman/pit bull mix) with me I could walk wherever else I felt like, too. We had a huge yard that created a buffer between our house and the dogfighting and prostitutes next door. The house itself was huge and it had an oil furnace- heating was much cheaper then. I don't think we would be able to afford to heat a place that big now! It was 2434 square feet of wonderful house that I felt trapped in. We lived there for just over two years before moving to where we live now.

I just wanted to give a little background before I post a few other things about the real Milwaukee that I don't see elsewhere on the blogosphere.

No comments: